Saturday, August 28, 2010

A few simple salads!

This post is in honour of the lady running my favourite stall at the Dom Markt. She's always friendly, seems to understand my faltering German, and always has a smile for me when I show up at 7am. She also seems to like the phrase "like Summer!" which applies to tomatoes, basil and cucumber. She's perfectly on the mark, because honestly, her vegetables are brilliant. There's a reason why I eat two cucumbers a week, and it has something to do with how delicious these particular cucumbers are.

So, here's a couple of easy things that I do on a regular basis to make the most of the great produce from my favourite stall. The first is just a green salad with a simple dressing, and the second is a spelt tabbouli, into which I frequently mix kidney beans, in order to make a meal out of it. These are so good, and so easy, that I just eat them straight from the salad bowl. I seem to always make them at the same time, because they each call for a 1/2 tin of pulses and 1/2 lemon. It just makes sense, in my strange brain. And it really does taste like summer!

Green Salad

1/2 head of lettuce lettuce (I prefer oakleaf - it has the best texture!)
1/2 telegraph cucumber, or 2 lebanese cucumbers, sliced
1/2 tin red kidney beans or chickpeas, drained and rinsed
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried oregano (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Wash the lettuce thoroughly to remove sand and grit. Dry lettuce and tear into pieces.
Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Taste for seasoning, and don't skimp on the salt and pepper!
For an alternate dressing, mix 1 tbsp olive oil, 1tsp wholegrain mustard, and 1 tbsp red wine vinegar.


Spelt Salad

1 cup cracked spelt
1 small bunch parsley, chopped
1t tsp finely chopped or crushed garlic
1/2 tin kidney beans or chickpeas (optional)
1 tomato, diced (optional - I'm not big on raw tomato)
salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil

Cook spelt in water until tender - about 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly and allow to cool slightly. (If your spelt is too hot, your parsley will discolour, but if you're eating it immediately, this salad is nice served a little warm).
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...