Friday, September 24, 2010

Imposter.

I'd like to call your attention to a certain squash specimen that I picked up at the markets recently. You'll notice that the skin is a slightly glossy dark-green, slightly speckled, and a touch on the pointy side. I decided it was probably some kind of hybrid acorn squash, or perhaps some entirely new variety that I hadn't seen yet.

Unfortunately not. What had originally seemed exciting gave way to sheer disappointment: I had been sold an underripe spaghetti squash. This is what I get for buying things without labelling, really. But honestly, what kind of stall-holder wants their customers to be eating their pale, insipid, flavourless vegetables? They're certainly not going to return to the stall, that's for sure. To hell with your wild mushrooms, mister, I'll be sticking to the Hokkaido from my favourite lady and the Spaghetti Squash from the squash seller (a recent, seasonal addition to the market).

Which brings me to another point: spaghetti squash. All the pictures on google image search show me lovely, golden-yellow squashes with vibrant yellow flesh. My spaghetti squash here have identical flesh, but they have the ribbed, green-striped skins of a delicata squash, which have a much more solid, creamy inside. Are my spaghetti squash some kind of hybrid? Are they a completely different variety? Or just a spaghetti squash hidden inside a delicata skin? It's all a bit confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...