Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Quick Pumpkin Curry.

I know that I'm a huge advocate of making things slowly with love and care, but I have to admit that my appetite is quite ferocious, and sometimes I just want to be fed. It's times like these when the basics (pasta, curry, stir-fry and soup) come in pretty handy. Sure, you can make them slowly and lovingly, and they'll taste phenomenal. Alternately, you can throw together whatever vegetables you have in the fridge and sit down to dinner 20 minutes later. Sometimes that's exactly what I need. I used onion, zucchini, leftover porcini mushrooms (their flavour stands up well to spices), green beans and some butternut squash. Yeah, I know, I'm using onion again. I'm also saying "to hell with the low-Salicylate diet" and I'm feeling pretty good. I think it has something to do with not eating any processed foods. It's good to finally have some energy!

So, I made this curry using a powder that was sitting on my shelf. I added a few other spices to list the flavour of the commercially-produced powder, which I found a bit flat. Definitely more suited to the taste of the average German than to me... Nevertheless, this curry turned out to be rich and flavourful. A tin of coconut cream, added from my ever-diminishing pantry stash (I'll be cooking from scratch pretty soon) made this deliciously saucy. I served it with jasmine rice, produced slowly and with love by my housemate's new rice cooker. Whoever invented those has a large piece of my heart. It really is the simple things in life...!

Simple Pumpkin Curry*
1/2 butternut, cut into chunks
2 lge handfuls (ok, about 300g) green beans
1 zucchini, sliced
250g mushrooms, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced or crushed
3cm-piece ginger, finely diced
1 x 400g can coconut cream
3 Tbsp Curry Powder (make your own! I dare you!)
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (optional - it might already be in your curry powder)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Sautee the onion, ginger and garlic until fragrant and beginning to turn transparent.
Add the mushroom, zucchini and pumpkin and cook for 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat. Throw in your spices and allow them to fry with the vegetables for a few minutes, until the scent of spices takes over your kitchen.
Add the coconut cream and simmer for about 5 minutes over a medium heat. Add the green beans, mix thoroughly, and cook for another 5 minutes, until all the pumpkin is tender, but don't let your beans go too soft!
Serve with rice and scatter with the leftover coriander leaves that you found in your fridge from all that Banh Mi you've been making lately.
*I usually make my curries with pastes, which I advocate whole-heartedly.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so fantastic, and perfect as the weather cools down! I'll have to remember to get some sort of winter squash asap, I don't want to forget about this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curry is such a great comfort food! I usually go for Massaman curry paste, but I can't find my favourite brand over here, so I thought I'd risk it with the curry powder in our kitchen... I'm definitely having a lucky week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...