Thursday, October 21, 2010

Stir-fry Veg with Mung Bean Noodles

Hello, easiest dinner ever. It's nice to be looking at you again, especially seeing as how I've neglected this blog lately. I'll see if I can make a few posts today, in order to wade through the backlog of photos in my "eats" folder - it's a poor habit to be in, I know. I've just been a little run off my feet lately, but it should settle down soon. In the meantime, I'm procrastinating by salivating over photos of things that I've cooked lately. Small wonder everyone thinks I'm strange! ;)

So, this was among the many "easy" meals I've cooked lately. Easy in that it's even easier than usual, and it made short work of a) my hunger, and b) the leftover dregs of vegetables that were inhabiting my fridge. I think that a dish like this tends to be pretty invincible - the only way you can do it any harm is if you walk off and forget about it, in which case your vegetables would be overcooked, or worse, burnt. Thankfully, it smells good enough to keep you in the kitchen, and the vegetables only take a few minutes to cook.

This is so shamefully easy that I don't know why I'm going to bother to type out my rough-estimate of a recipe. I'm not a measurer; I just throw things in according to what looks, feels, and smells right. Everyone has their own taste, and everyone uses different ingredients (seeing as I'm pretty doubtful that you, too, shop at the Dom Markt), so just adjust the soy and chilli to taste. I decided to use mung bean noodles because I couldn't be bothered waiting for rice to cook. Ok, other reasons include the great chewy texture and the light, sweet flavour that soaks up the soy and siracha. Rice thread noodles would work just as well.

Stir-fried Vegetables with Bean Thread Noodles
100g mung bean vermicelli-style noodles*
1 tbsp finely chopped / crushed garlic
1/2 small head broccoli
1 large zucchini
250g button mushrooms
250g brussels sprouts
3 tbsp siracha
3 tbsp soy sauce
Slice the vegetables into small, evenly-sized pieces.
In a bowl, soak the bean thread noodles in boiling water. They usually only take a couple of minutes, so cook your vegetables while you wait. The noodles are ready when they're completely transparent, with no trace of the original white colour.
Heat a little oil (I used about a tablespoon) in your wok and sautee the garlic for a few seconds. Add the vegetables, stirring constantly, and cook on a high heat for a few minutes, or until the greens are bright.
Add the noodles to the vegtables, mixing in to incorporate. Using chopsticks to cook is much better than a wooden spoon, when you're dealing with noodles.
Add the soy sauce and siracha, mixing thoroughly so that the vegtables and noodles are completely coated. Cook for a moment longer, until any residual soy has evaporated, and eat immediately.
* Shameless guesswork on my part with the mung bean noodles. I didn't have a full packet, is all that I can tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...