Saturday, November 13, 2010

Breakfast fit for a King (Bolete)

I know, I know, I said I'd post about the cranberries today. Well, what can I say? My breakfast got in the way. It's not my fault, I swear! I blame the rain. See, I lost my umbrella at some point in the last week, and it was absolutely pouring this morning. So, I walked to the market holding my thick calico bag over my head (thankyou, Mt Tomah Botanic Gardens, for your amazingly good-quality merchandise!) to keep from getting soaked. I had to stop doing that a block away from the market, though, for fear of looking like an idiot. At least I would have looked like an incredibly practical idiot! Heh. Whatever, I should have just kept it on my head, and tied the straps under my chin, so that I'd look like some crazy aunt. Maybe next week!

So, I visited my usual stall for some vegetables - I didn't need too much, because I hadn't gone through all of the greens from last week's over-enthusiastic visit. Then, I decided that I needed something warm, and wandered over to one of the little coffee carts for a long black. (Soymilk in Germany? Yeah, right!) I was standing in the little tent, warming my hands on my cup, and staring across the way at a stall with the most beautiful artichokes. They came from France, and cost a small fortune, so I didn't buy one. But these mushrooms, despite costing a small fortune, were local... so I got sucked in.

I think they're King Boletes (Ceps, Porcini, whatever) as they're pretty huge but the caps aren't yet open and the flesh was incredibly firm. I really loved the texture, actually. I fried them up with some spring onion and garlic, using a nice splash of olive oil, and the requisite salt and pepper. Delicious!

I serve it on top of freshly made Turkish bread, which I also bought at this morning's market. I love this bread - it's chewy and addictive. That's probably the reason why I finshed off half of the loaf by slathering it with harissa (still burning my face on every bite and loving it!) or dipping it in olive oil.

So, dual-pan action. See the tomatoes? Yep, the season's now officially over. They were nice, but they were pale and watery compared to Summer tomatoes. Still, it's better than none, which is what I'll have very soon. In the meantime, I'll enjoy them. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...