Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Kaffeebecher!

How awesome is this? Welcome, internet, come see the love of my life. This is my coffee cup. However, I feel a little odd saying "cup" or "mug" because I expect both of those things to have a handle. Thus, I've been referring to it with the German word, "Becher" (beaker? Not sure on the direct translation, but it's a container with no handle) because it looks like one, feels like one, and consequently must be one. Deshalb: hier ist mein Kaffeebecher.

The body is ceramic, with the lovely rose pattern that you see here. It's dishwasher-safe, microwave-safe, and sturdy enough to withstand some rough treatment from me. (I'm never easy on my loves.) In the morning, I fill it with soymilk, microwave it until the soymilk is warm (and yet the becher stays relatively cool!) and then add the espresso. Perfect system.

The band around the middle. which is easily removable, is made of lovely heat-resistant silicon. Not only does it feel lovely and squishy to hold, it also keeps me from burning my paws on the cup itself. The lid, too, is made of silicon, and keeps me from spilling coffee down myself as I walk to uni. It also retains the heat incredibly well: in -3 temperatures this morning, the coffee was still warm when I arrived at uni some 20 minutes after leaving the house. Normally I'd have finished my coffee by then, but I'm a bit of a daydreamer sometimes...

It's also fantastic for tea, because you can wind the string of the teabag around the little teapot so that it doesn't fall into the cup when you hastily pour on your hot water. It holds more liquid than any of the coffee mugs in our house, which is perfect for a hot-drink-reliant being such as myself, and will definitely be used in place of disposable cups for future purchases. Awesome? Yes. So much so that I think I'm going to go back to Koln to buy the other one, with the blue becher... ;)

So, that's all I have time for tonight: no recipe, just showing off, sorry! It's the end of the Vegan Month of Food, which has been a lot of fun, but also some hard work. So, thanks to all the other Mofoers for giving me awesome blogs to read, for comments, for ideas, for support, and just for being part of the community. Now I'm going to crawl into bed and warm my freezing toes...

4 comments:

  1. That's really cute! I like that it's perfectly functional, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are still eating the fudge sludge and loving it. It actually became Matt's birthday cake as he was a bit under the weather when I got back from the train station. Thanks for a great weekend and we owe you a bottle of gin...actually Matt owes you one (a good one not the usual crap he buys). Question: where in Koln did the becher come from? And if you get there before me and you have some cash get me one! Nay I can wait till after christmas. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I love things that are both cute and functional! (Though sometimes I love things that are just cute, too!)

    Tash - I'll reply on your blog cos I have a feeling that you won't read this here. Feel free to prove me wrong, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw these or something like it in Galeria today. They're very cool!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...