Saturday, November 6, 2010

Vegan Mofo: Survey!

I realised a moment ago that all of my posts have been back-dating themselves to when I uploaded the photos... I've been working in advance during Vegan Mofo because between uni and the seminar I've been working in, I haven't really had any spare time. The past few weeks have been a little crazy. So I apologise for all the incorrect time stamps on my posts! In the meantime, I stole a survey to fill out... I'm a sucker for surveys.

Taken gratefully from http://vmexx.blogspot.com/!

What is one food you thought you’d miss when you went vegan, but don’t?
Hmm... kinda hard to answer, because even as a vegetarian, I mostly ate vegan. Maybe just instant foods like not-bacon or something.

What is a food or dish you wouldn’t touch as a child, but enjoy now?
Hahaha, oh my... um... curry! I was a picky eater as a child, but now I love pretty much all fruit and veg. Salad dressing is a big one, too - I loved salad as a child, but wouldn't go near the dressing. And pasties (albeit now the vegan ones). Oh, and tomato sauce/ketchup. And mayo. It took me years to get into condiments, but now my refrigerator well and truly makes up for that.

What vegan dish or food you feel like you “should” like, but don’t?
Hmm... maybe mock meat? I can completely understand that it's fun and has a definitely novelty value, but I find it boring and always wish it was replaced with good, fresh vegetables instead. I'm just not that into seitan. Give me tempeh any day!

What beverage do you consume the most of on any given day?
Water, but I also love cups of tea (and 1-2 cups of coffee!)...

What dish are your “famous” for making or bringing to gatherings?
At the moment I'm making a lot of baked goods, because they're easy to transport when I bring them to my friends in Muenster. I can't justify making an entire cake for myself, so I time my baking so that I can always bring something fresh and tasty to them when I visit. Desserts with custard are always a favourite (chocolate fairy cakes with choccy custard filling, vanilla slice, chocolate raspberry pie with cheesecake base)... but I also love skewers of marinated tofu and vegetables that get grilled. If I have one famous dish, though, it's Vegan Chicken Pie. I'll post it one day, I promise.

Do you have any self-imposed food rules (like no food touching on the plate or no nuts in sweets)?
Not really... I'm a pretty relaxed person, so that comes through to my food. But anything with too many spices (except indian) raises my eyebrows, because often I think people spice too liberally, without enough guidance. Use lots of spice, sure, but make sure your spices work together to create layers of flavour, instead of just throwing in a bit of everything that caught your eye.

What’s one food or dish you tend to eat too much of when you have it in your home?
Um, everything? I chronically overeat, which isn't a problem when I eat healthy food. But bread is a pretty big one... I could live on fresh bread, dipped into olive oil. Or anything baked, really! I don't buy snack foods when I'm in a supermarket, so I don't need to worry about those.

What ingredient or food do you prefer to make yourself despite it being widely available prepackaged?
Pasta sauce. Sure, I could buy a jar, but it would be full of preservatives and it wouldn't have the same flavour and texture as mine. I'm also convinced that it wouldn't have half as much red wine. ;)

What ingredient or food is worth spending the extra money to get “the good stuff”?
Vanilla. Puy Lentils. Fresh fruit and vegetables. Olive oil. Bread (square sandwich loaves can go to hell, as far as I'm concerned). Olives. Anything from your favourite lady at the market! Though she's always got very reasonable prices, anyway.

Are you much of a snacker? What are your favorite snacks?
I'm a huge snacker, but trying to cut back. At the moment I'm usually just going for fruit, but I've also re-discovered sultanas. When I visit Matt and Tash, I devour everything in my path. ;) Seriously though, I love snacking on leftover roasted vegetables. Leftover roasted pumpkin is amazing, so I just leave a container of it in my fridge.

What are your favorite vegan pizza toppings?
Roasted pumpkin, tomato pizza sauce, lots of black pepper, mushrooms and avocado. Seriously, it's bliss.

What is your favorite vegetable? Fruit?
Oh, jesus christ... that's impossible. Umm... vegetable is literally impossible. I love them too much to ever choose one. Fruit... mango. Or mangosteen. Or maybe strawberries. Or peaches or nectarines, but only if they're home-grown. Or citrus, I love citrus. I think you get my point.

What is the best salad dressing?
Balsamic-dijon, or red wine vinegar and wholegrain mustard. Something of a theme going on there. I also love a really light white vinegar, oil and sugar dressing for delicate summer salads, like mango and pea sprout.

What is your favorite thing to put on toasted bread?
Vegemite! I'm just saying that to creep everyone else out, but it's pretty good stuff.

What kind of soup do you most often turn to on a chilly day or when you aren’t feeling your best?
Vegetable. Pumpkin soup is great but I often add other vegetables. Minestrone is a big favourite, too. And fresh pea soup is to die for. Beet and vegetable soup was the last one I made, and that did wonders for my worn-out self. I'll post a recipe soon, so that we can all recover together.

What is your favorite cupcake flavor? Frosting flavor?
Vanilla. Maple syrup. Oooh or maybe lemon. I'm not big on a huge pile of frosting, as cute as it looks. A nice slather of basic icing is more than enough sugar for me.

What is your favorite kind of cookie?
Chocolate cookies. I've got a great recipe... maybe later. ;)

What is your most-loved “weeknight meal”?
Anything Asian. Stir-fry, laksa, rice congee, Singapore noodles, kway teow. Or pasta. Or a giant, saucepan-sized vege fritter, with avocado salsa.

What is one dish or food you enjoy, but can’t get anyone else in your household to eat?
Anything spicy. My housemates are German... they like their food a bit plainer than I do! Also, cooked for much, much longer. But thankfully we keep our meals separate. Sharehouses are good like that.

How long, in total, do you spend in the kitchen on an average day?
Lots, because I don't actually have a desk in my room, so often I work on my seminars while I'm sitting at the kitchen table. I get a key to my temporary-office soon, so I'm sure that I'll be in here less, but I agree that a kitchen really is the heart of a home. Or it's where you'll find my heart, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...