Sunday, February 20, 2011

Cabbage and Orange Slaw

This is something incredibly basic and yet also incredibly tasty, which rates it pretty highly, in my humble opinion. Finely shredded red cabbage, mixed with little chunks of orange and a light dressing. Really, you can't go wrong. My only recommendations are that a) you use a food processor or mandolin to slice the cabbage, because I found it a little thick when I did it by hand, and b) leave it overnight to marinate. Yes, a marinated salad. I'm serious. The flavour develops and the orange juice seeps into the cabbage, softening it just a touch, without taking away too much crunch. To make simple into pretty, just scatter with a handful of toasted pistachios or cashews before serving.

Cabbage and Orange Slaw
1/4 head small red cabbage, finely shredded
2 large oranges, peeled and cubed*
salt & pepper
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
(1 tsp wholegrain mustard, optional)

Mix dressing ingredients together in a jar, and shake until emulsified. Pour over cabbage and orange, and mix well to combine. Sit overnight in the fridge, and serve the next day, as a side dish or on your favourite burger.

*When you peel the oranges, squeeze any extra juice from your peel into the dressing.

5 comments:

  1. I think marinating here makes perfect sense. I love red cabbage, I'm going to have to make this!

    PS- as a fellow ex-pat in Germany I added you to my blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Now I'm going to actually have to post something worth reading, haha.

    Agree that marinating makes sense; it's especially great for people like me who arrive home absolutely starving. Or better, people like me who buy an entire red cabbage, even though they're only feeding themselves... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know that you live in Germany, your cabbage and orange slaw looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cabbage slaw and yours looks beautiful with the red and orange colors. I once tie-dyed a dress in those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never used to like slaw, but I think I've finally been won over... I think the colours definitely helped. ;)

    I only ever tried to tye-dye anything once, and that was back in school in the early 90s. Instead, I took to stencilling tshirts with fabric paint and contact leftover from schoolbooks; I think we're all the product of our generations!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...