Saturday, February 5, 2011

Raw Vegetable Wraps.

I felt like eating healthy today. I'd bought carrots with the intention of making the felafel from the Choosing Raw website, not because they were raw, but simply because I though they looked delicious. I had every intention of eating mine warm, though! But when I got back from the markets, I wasn't half as cold as I'd expected. The weather here in Paderborn was a balmy seven degrees (windchill notwithstanding) and, to be completely honest, I was feeling lazy.

However, I still felt like something a little spicy. Enter carrots; mine were finely grated, which took about five times as long as when I grate them normally, and were spiced with cumin, coriander seed, and finely ground black pepper. What did they taste of? Felafel. I'd managed to use the same spices. Well, I guess once I have something in my head, it's rather hard to get rid of!

To go with the carrot salad (which is easily moulded, by the way! In case I do ever make hot felafel balls out of it) I made a quick parsley salad, similar to the one you've already seen here, but without chickpeas. To go with all of this, I sliced some lovely cherry tomatoes, washed some salad leaves (to wrap; I recommend you find larger leaves, but I only had oakleaf lettuce!) and even got into a jar of olive tapenade. In the end, I liked

Raw Vegetable Wraps

2 carrots, finely grated, wrung free of juice (drink juice immediately. delicious!)
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp black pepper, finely ground
1 tsp finely diced spring onion (I used the green)
chilli powder, to taste
1 cup cherry toms (or a large tomato), sliced
1 large bunch parsley, finely sliced
10-ish lettuce leaves, washed
salt, to taste

For the carrots: mix together carrots, spring onion, cumin, coriander, pepper, chilli and salt to taste, until the carrots are evenly spiced.
For the parsley: mix chopped parsley with a little chopped tomato and season with salt and pepper. Lemon juice is also nice.
To assemble: Pick up a lettuce leaf. Add a spoonful of carrot, a spoonful of parsley salad, a few pieces of tomato, a sprinkle of salt (or just salt your tomatoes beforehand) and pepper, and fold over the leaf so that it encloses the filling.
Eat! Crunch crunch crunch...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...