Olive Bread
400g wholemeal flour + extra for kneading
1 sachet instant yeast
1 tsp sugar
3/4 cup - 1 cup warm water
300g green olives, halved*
300g green olives, halved*
Mix the dry ingredients together, then add the warm water as needed, bringing it together to form a dough. It should be pretty sticky, which is fine: just cover it with a layer of flour on all sides, so that it doesn't stick to the bowl when it rises.
Leave the dough for about half an hour, in a warm kitchen (twice that in a colder one), until doubled in size.
Punch back the dough and mix in the olives (and extras, see note below), giving it a knead for as long as you can bear. You'll need to add in extra flour as you go, to stop the dough from sticking to your surfaces, but it's fine to leave it a bit sticky. I certainly did - I like my loaves to be a bit dense and chewy.
Allow the dough to rise again, until doubled. Knock it back and divide it into two flat loaves. Proove it in your oven for a few minutes while it preheats to 200 degrees. (My oven is super slow, so they got about ten minutes in there, before it started getting properly hot).
Place a small dish of water in the bottom of your oven - this creates steam, which prevents your loaf from splitting open.
Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. You want it to be browned and crusty.
Eat and entire loaf for lunch, dipped in olive oil, and then laze around feeling stuffed for the better part of the afternoon.
*My green olives had rosemary and garlic cloves, which I included in this bread. If you buy plain olives, add 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, roughly chopped, and 4 cloves of roughly chopped garlic to this recipe.
*One of my loaves seemed to get the lion's share of the olives; the one you can see sliced, at the top of this post, was lighter on the olives. I'll have to take more care next time, when I divide the loaves! Should probably also take care that the loaf isn't upside-down when I'm taking photos, too... ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment