Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Greens Pie

You know, I've been feeling really good lately. I've been running again, eating incredibly healthy food (lots of greens, owing to my lack of sunshine, and heaps of raw foods too) and generally feeling pretty positive. I've been rediscovering bands I love, doing quite well in my classes, keeping up with the lectures I give at the uni, and even found the time to start proof-reading my housemate's final paper. Everything is coming up Milhouse.

So, to celebrate, I broke out the unhealthy food! Ha, not really. I broke out two small sheets of puff pastry, the olive oil, soymilk, vege stock and the bunch of Mangelwurzel leaves that I had sitting in the fridge. Normally I'd use spinach, or maybe even coloured silverbeet (because I used to have huge and profuse plants growing in my garden) but I saw the Mangelwurzel at the Dom Markt and made the purchase. If you're not familiar with it, it's related to silverbeet (chard). Mixed in with a creamy sauce and plenty of seasoning, this was definitely the treat that I deserved! Make it. You're worth it. ;)

Greens Pie

1 large bunch greens (silverbeet, mangelwurzel, whatever!) leaves and stems separated and chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 Tbsp white flour
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
soymilk (sorry, I never measure)
2 tsp vege stock powder
1 tsp dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp dried rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp siracha (optional; only if you like a kick!)
+ sufficient puff pastry to cover.

Preheat your oven to 210 degrees C.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and sautee the garlic until fragrant. Add the chopped stems and allow to sautee for a few minutes to soften. Add the dried herbs, pepper and stock powder.
Add the flour to the mix and stir so that the flour isn't clumped. Allow to cook for another minute, to lightly toast the flour and get rid of that raw-floury taste.
Add soymilk, about a cup at first, and then more as you need it. Stir constantly to enable the flour to thicken into a sauce without getting lumps, adding extra soymilk as needed to make a smooth but very thick sauce. (Add siracha here, if you need the spice.)
Fold through the chopped leaves, allowing to wilt, before transferring the mix to an oven-proof dish.
Top with enough puff pastry to cover, and bake for about 10-15 minutes, according to the directions on your pastry box. (My oven is insanely slow, and took 25 minutes.)
Enjoy! The filling will be creamy while it's hot, but can set when you refrigerate your leftovers (what leftovers!?).

This is also pretty good as a side dish, if you cringe at how unhealthy puff pastry is... ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hellow!

    I love your site, It is a pleasure to visit.

    I have added your site to my site.

    Please link my site to your site.

    Thank you!

    http://amaja567.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so tasty!!! I love anything with pastry :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...