Sunday, August 22, 2010

Ginger Syrup


So, at the moment, I'm still eating my way through my pantry's contents without replacing much. Oats are a point of contention: I haven't found any that are grown in Germany, and whether that's possible is something that I'm yet to research. My spelt oats are especially close to my heart. Unfortunately, products here only have on the label where they were packed, which we all know is usually a long way from where they turned sunlight into deliciousness. Sigh.

So, something I'm doing in order to preserve a few foreign favourites is to infuse vinegars or syrups. It's something that'll make the transition to eating more local food just that little bit easier: some of the familiar flavours of home. Because honestly, the flavours of Australia are a world apart from those of Germany, where the short growing seasons mean that fruit especially tends to be both tiny and rock-hard, and sometimes in need of a flavour boost.

So, with the last remaining knob of gnarled and dry ginger in my fridge (I don't even want to know which country it came from; I'm covering my eyes and ears here) I made a ginger syrup to drizzle over compote or yoghurt. It's simple and delicious, and turned a ery dark colour simply because the raw sugar I found had colour added. This is exactly why I'm going to be carefully reading my labels from now!


Ginger Syrup

1/4 cup fresh ginger, sliced finely or shredded
2 cups water
1/3 cup raw sugar

Simmer all together gently for 20 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan so that the ginger can further infuse, and then strain and pour into a jar. Store in the fridge - it lasts for ages, and has quite a kick to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...