That's not to discount the others that I made, but really, they're not as seasonal. The second was a latte-flavoured jelly, made with soymilk and espresso. I probably could have upped the sugar a little, because I was using unsweetened soymilk, but it was still a delicious snack. Plus it made it so much easier to deal with my coffee addiction in a stuffy, airless apartment. I don't even own a fan here, and air conditioning in this country is simply non-existent.
There's my latte-jelly, sort of like a bastardised panna cotta, hanging out with it's homelier cousin, the coffee mug. Agar has a firmer set than conventional gelatine, so if you're very careful, and don't use fruit with anti-setting enzymes (I'm looking at you, Citrus!) then you can slice it into cubes. Admittedly I just tended to eat it directly from the beaker...
The other notable mention in my jelly collection is our old friend, Elderflower. I realise that Elderflower has had something of a revival in the last few years, and admittedly, I'm thrilled. Elderflower cordial is a joy of Summer - fresh, floral, and deliciously sweet. I'm not a sugar fiend, but Elderflower cordial could potentially convince me otherwise. So, I used a simple cordial to make the elderflower jelly. You can see the colour better in the first picture of this post, which was the tiny bit of leftover that I set into a shot glass... for "testing" purposes, of course. Not so I could snack on it before the rest had set.
The process of making jelly itself was incredibly easy: Simmer 500ml liquid with one sachet of agar powder (probably about 2tsp) for at least two minutes. You don't even need to refrigerate the jelly liquid, because agar, unlike conventional gelatine, sets at room temperature. That's some might smart seaweed.
I obviously didn't want to simmer the berries and the agar together, so I cooked the berries in 2 cups of water first, with a tablespoon of sugar. I'll point out that the agar powder contained a touch of maltrodextrin, which is a sugar, so I was reluctant to add more. I needn't have worried, because the maltrodextrin didn't add any extra sweetness. A little water cooked off in the process, so I simply topped it up when I measured to see how much berry-syrup I'd created.