Friday, August 20, 2010

Unkillable Cake


I'd like to introduce you to a recipe. It's a recipe for all bakers to unite under - it's unkillable. No matter what you add to this recipe, be it fruit or nuts or untold quantities of chocolate, it still turns out perfectly. You can bake it as a cake, as cupcakes or as muffins, depending on which size snack you like to eat. And, best of all, you don't have to be finicky with the recipe - it's all in one bowl, mixed together. You barely have to wash any dishes.

The unkillable cake ratio is always the same, and then I add extra fruit or other flavourings into the mix. If I add cocoa powder or something dry, then I'll add a touch more liquid to compensate, but honestly, I've made this batter both thick and thin, and all it really changed was the baking time. It's just a cake, not light as a sponge or dense as a mudcake, but for the world's easiest baking, it's pretty unbeatable.

So, here's a simple berry muffin. I made these with blackberries, because I foraged a few kilos of them, and needed to use them up quickly. My favourite, however, is always strawberry cakes, but I'll admit that it's also good with sour berries like red currants or cranberries.


Easiest Berry Muffins

2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
+ enough soymilk to bind.

1 cup berries*
1 & ½ tbsp vanilla powder*

Mix the first four ingredients together in a bowl, until just combined. Fold in the berries carefully so as not to break them.
Spoon into muffin tins (line with muffin papers if you’re like me, and avoid washing up at all costs).
Bake in a 180 degree C oven for about 25 minutes, or until a skewer pressed into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack, or if you don’t have one, just eat them all while they’re still hot!

*Ok, I confess, I added more. Add as many berries as you can fit into your bowl.
*Vanilla powder seems to be vanilla flavour of preference for the locals here. If you have vanilla extract, which I find much better than the powder, then please use it. Even vanilla essence is ok here! Just remember to adjust the quantities accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...