Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Quittenmus (Quince puree)

A jar of golden happiness and unlimited internet to tell you about it. Really, what more can a girl ask for? Ok, sure, I could ask for a lot, but this blog isn't the place for me to be demanding. I'm just here to tell you about stuff that tastes good. So I've got no pretenses, hopefully no pretention (haha) and probably more than my fair share of enthusiasm. Now if only I could overcome the laziness involved... nope, probably never going to happen.

So, these darlings came from the Dom Markt. The price has dipped a little and they're better quality than the first few weeks' quinces, simply because they're riper. What that means, aside from being much prettier, is that the quinces have developed that amazing floral aroma that sends me into a trance every time I cut one. It's heavenly, or at least as close to heavenly as this particular athiest is going to get. And when my quinces are cut, simmered, and pureed, and I get to swirl a spoonful of quittemus around in my mouth, and enjoy how sour and smooth it is, believe me, it's worth the wait.

Quittenmus (Quince Puree)
5 small quinces, peeled and cut into smallish (2cm) cubes - maybe a kilo prepped, or a little over
fine sugar, to taste (optional)
1/8 tsp nutmeg (optional)

Simmer the quinces in barely enough water to cover, until tender but not falling apart - about 20 minutes.
If you want your quinces to take on a lovely pink hue, cut them into larger chunks, and simmer them for longer - the longer they cook, the pinker they become. However, your finished quittenmus will be softer and more liquid if you do this. I like mine as thick and creamy (and solid) as possible, so that it's more like fruit butter, so I don't cook them until they fall apart.
Drain the quinces in a colander (reserve the liquid and reduce to syrup, if desired) and allow to rest, pressing with a spoon occasionally, until free from drips. The more time you allow them to drain, the thicker your quittenmus.
Puree the quinces in a blender or food processor, until completely smooth. Add sugar to taste and nutmeg, if desired, and blend to incorporate thoroughly. Or, simply leave as is, for a tart puree that's fantastic mixed with soy yoghurt and rolled oats, or used in place of jam in your favourite jam slice.

Um, no, I wasn't dipping my finger in the blender to eat some. Of course not.

1 comment:

  1. Quinces are my favourite fruit ever! I am always looking forward to the quince season. I just love both their smell and taste so much. There's nothing better!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...