Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Carrot & Sesame Salad

Today I needed comfort food, but not of the heavy-soft-warm variety. I needed something that screamed with flavour and colour. I like my food to have a riot on my plate occasionally. (Or perhaps a little more often than occasionally.) I had a bad day, and I wanted something to cheer me up. And we all know that nothing cheers me up more than vegetable-stained fingers and Asian flavours. And about twelve cups of tea, but that's a story for another time, or perhaps just another blog. I made this carrot salad with purple carrots because I was in a bad mood, and believe me, I'm feeling much better. I have a good relationship with our grater. You might like to use this salad to strengthen your feelings towards your mandolin, or the shredder on your food processor, but I don't have either of those. We're a bit low-tech here.

Carrot and Sesame Salad

5 large carrots, grated/shredded
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp young ginger, very very finely chopped
1 tbsp white vinegar mixed with 1 tsp sugar (optional)*

Toast your sesame seeds in a dry frying pan until they're brown and fragrant.
Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. You don't want a mouthful of raw ginger if you can help it.
Eat whilst secretly enjoying the strange blue-grey colour that stains your fingertips from using purple carrots.

*The vinegar/sugar thing is a variation I make when the carrots aren't as juicy, and need a little bit of dressing. It makes them a little more pickle-ish, which makes this an awesome option for your next Banh Mi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...