Thursday, September 16, 2010

Olive Oil Biscuits.

I love olive oil. I love it.

I love it coating my pasta, mixed together with fried mushrooms and cubed avocado and lots of salt and pepper for the simplest pasta ever. I love it poured sparingly over lettuce leaves instead of salad dressing. I love it to use when I sautee asparagus or green beans. I love it to use in baking. I love it to roast vegetables, especially pumpkin. I love it when I pour it into a dish and use fresh, crusty bread to mop it up in generous mouthfuls. And now, as if I didn't love it enough already, I love it in biscuits.

These biscuits are, true to most of the recipes I make regularly, incredibly easy. I don't see the point in convuluted recipes where you can't taste half of the flavours that you put into the mix. These biscuits, therefore, are fantastic: wholemeal flour, lots of spicy olive oil, and just a touch of sweetness. They have a delicious crunch - that is, when you can keep your hands off of them for long enough to allow them to cool. They're the ultimate companion to your afternoon cup of tea, very useful for dipping directly into your jar of Apfelmus, and best still, they stay fresh for longer than your usual packet-cookie would dare. Welcome, olive oil bikkie, to my repertoire. You're definitely here to stay.

Olive Oil Biscuits
1 & 1/4 cups wholemeal flour
1/3 cup olive oil*
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup agave syrup, honey, or maple syrup*
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
Mix everything together in a bowl until thoroughly incorporated.
Roll small teaspoons of the mix into balls and flatten onto a lined oven tray. Remember that the thinner you make your cookies, the crunchier they'll be. 3mm is a good thickness, in the bible of Megan. I think next time I might even make it 2mm...
Bake for 10ish minutes, until the biscuits are golden-brown. Allow to cool completely before attempting to re-home your biscuits, as the mix won't crisp up until the biscuits are sufficiently cooled.
Eat as many as humanly possible.
*If your syrup is quick thick, as honey tends to be, warm it just a little to pouring consistency.
Your choice of olive oil and sweetener dictates the sweet/savoury balance in these cookies. I think that we're all aware of my feelings towards olive oil by now, so I use a first-press oil that defines itself as "robust". If you don't share my lust, use a lighter-flavoured olive oil, and a stronger-flavoured sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...